Brighton Snowmobile Club

Brighton Snowmobile Club

What you need to snowmobile in Vermont

To ride on the more than 4,600 mile trail system in Vermont, your machine(s) must be legally registered in Vermont or any other state or province.

VAST recognizes all valid state and provincial registrations. If your sled(s) is already registered in your home state or province, then you do not need to re-register in Vermont. The cost to register a snowmobile in Vermont is $25 for a resident, $32 for a non-resident and $2 to transfer a registration if your machine has been sold or traded-in. The registration is valid from September 1 to August 31.

A TMA ( Trails Maintenance Assessment / Trail Pass) must be purchased locally from the club at the Island Pond Welcome Center or through the mail as outlined in the TMA Application section of this site. You may also purchase your TMA's at:
Mark's Motorsports, Enfield CT
Land and Sea Marine, Waterbury CT

VAST also has additional requirements for "junior" riders. Anyone born after July 1, 1983, who will be operating a snowmobile on the VAST trail system, must complete a six-hour Snowmobile Safety Course recognized by Vermont.

Effective September 1, 2003 - all snowmobile owners are required to carry a liability insurance policy.

Under Vermont Law, Title 23, Chapter 29, you must operate your snowmobile at a speed that is reasonable and prudent, taking into consideration current conditions, trail traffic and other hazards present on the trail.

The maximum speed limit on state lands is 35 m.p.h. The use of radar on snowmobile trails is becoming a standard practice. With the use of hand held radar guns, the enforcement of speed limits that are imposed on all state lands, has increased dramatically. Snowmobiles are subject to posted speed limits on public roads open to snowmobile traffic.

Vermont has a tough “Snowmobiling While Intoxicated” law. This law covers both drugs and alcohol. While you will be charged with SWI on the VAST trail system, intoxicated snowmobilers operating on a public highway will be charged with DWI. As a result of this violation, you will be assessed points and your driver’s license will be suspended.

A frozen lake is considered a public highway and the maximum speed limit is 50 m.p.h.

If you are involved in an accident, resulting in personal injury, death or property damage in excess of $500, it is your duty to stop and report it to local authorities. You must give your name, address, registration number and the name of the owner of the snowmobile to the party whose person or property is injured. You must also file an accident report with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours.

Your snowmobiles must be equipped with: headlight; red rear light; windshield free from jagged or sharp edges; a fully functional brake in good condition; efficient muffler and such other equipment and devices as may be required to meet the noise level specifications of not more than 73 decibels on the A scale at 50 feet in a normal operating environment.

Colored lens covers on headlights are illegal. Windshields are mandatory or the operator must wear eye glasses, goggles or a protective face shield.

Helmets are mandatory for all riders on the VAST trail system.

It is against Vermont law to sell a replacement exhaust system that exceeds the manufacturer's original equipment specifications. Violation of this law will result in a fine of $616 for the snowmobile operator and an additional fine for the person selling the illegal exhaust system. No by-pass of a muffler system is allowed.

For more information, see Vermont Statutes Online Snowmobile Rules & Regulations.
Copyright 2007-2015 Brighton Snowmobile Club All rights reserved.